Translate

Tuesday, June 5, 2012




Too many ham hocks!

I've always wanted to cook with ham hock but the only recipe that comes to mind is pea and ham soup. Does anyone have good ham hock recipes to share as I bought an extra hock?
Recipe from the McKenzie's Green Split Peas 500g packets
Ingredients
500g green split peas (washed)
3 carrots, diced
3 celery sticks, diced
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 smoked ham hock (fat removed)
1 reduced salt chicken stock cube (I didn't use any)
12 cups water
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste


1) Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Cover and simmer for approximately 1-11/2 hours or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
2) Remove hock and prepare by removing skin, dice the ham and set aside. Discard bay leaf.
3) Puree soup in blender.
4) Add ham back into soup and stir through.
5) Season to taste :) 


Mr Hippo loved it. Next time I'll definitely shred the ham smaller as I wasn't a huge fan of the chunks of meat in my soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment