Translate

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Honey, where's the sugar?

I love to bake but since there's only two of us at home, most of my cakes find their way to the parents and in-laws. With all of them becoming increasingly health conscious, I've begun experimenting with healthier alternatives. They're so healthy, even Sugar gets an occasional sweet treat!

One of my favourite cakes which I have been baking weekly is a sugar and gluten free almond teacake. 

Ingredients
-1 1/2cups of almond meal
-4 eggs (seperated) 
- 1/2 cups of honey (can be substituted with maple syrup)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- honey to drizzle on top

- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. 
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer till they're foamy.
- In a seperate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients together on low.
- Gently fold half the egg whites to the other ingredients till incorporated then fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Pour into a round and lined cake tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes till cooked.
- Once cooked, use a skewer to poke holes all over the cake and drizzle over the honey whilst still warm so it soaks into the cake. Leave to cool completely before cutting. 

I've also made versions where I added goji berries, inca berries or shredded coconut to the mixture prior to baking. You can adjust the amount of honey depending on how sweet you like your cakes. I prefer them less sweet because I don't feel as guilty eating more :p 







































Happy baking!!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment